Providing the BEST in Trophy Deer, Elk, & Buffalo Hunts!

If you are traveling from the USA, please take the time to look over the Canadian form CAFC 909 and the USA Customs 4457 form detailing how to bring a gun into and out of Canada.

What You Can and Cannot
Bring Into Canada

Most things you bring with you will be considered "personal baggage" by Canadian Customs officers. These items include reasonable quantities of food, fishing tackle, cars, boats and motors, fuel, sports equipment, TV sets, musical instruments, computers and cameras.

And of course, you already know there are going to be some exceptions! The most important exception to the rule is a firearm.


Canadian Customs - All firearms brought into Canada will be inspected. From a practical standpoint, this simply means somebody in the Canadian Customs area of the airport will open your gun case and physically look at your gun to ensure it is not loaded.

This is not a problem so long as you do not have a handgun of any type (strictly prohibited in Canada) or a fully-auto long gun (also prohibited). You must declare any firearms you are bringing in.

Canadian Customs officers will record the serial numbers on your guns when you enter Canada.

There also will be a $25 (Canadian) fee required to buy a "Firearms Declaration", basically a temporary license or permit to take your gun in and out of Canada.

If you Google "CAFC 909," you can fill out the form prior to arriving at Canadian customs. Canadian form CAFC 909 must be filled out.

If you are a citizen of the USA, you must go to a USA customs office and fill out form 4457 — prior to entering Canada with your gun.

Medical Insurance

Take current proof of your medical insurance with you. Prior to your departure for Canada, call your insurance carrier and make certain your coverage is good while traveling and visiting in Canada.

Other Items

Prescription drugs normally present no problem going through Canadian Customs. Clearly identify each drug and carry it in its original packaging with a label that specifies both what the drug is and that it is being used under the prescription of a doctor.

If the drug could cause question, it's a good idea to take your doctor's phone number with you just in case. Diabetics bringing syringes with them should also carry evidence of their need.

Canadian Travel Information

The staff at DVR want you to enjoy your hunting trip to Saskatchewan. With that in mind, here are some interesting and helpful facts you may find useful:

  • 70% of all visitors to Canada cross the border by automobile. Your American driver's license is valid in Canada, and local traffic laws are very similar to those in the USA.
  • In addition to your driver's license, you should carry proof of insurance and proof of vehicle ownership.
  • Seat belt use in a moving vehicle is mandatory.
  • Possession of a radar detection device is legal in the Province of Saskatchewan.
  • Turn on your headlights on at all times, even during daylight.
  • Canada uses the metric system for weights and measures. A kilometer (km) is roughly six tenths (0.6) of a mile.
  • Fuel is sold in liters. It takes 3.78 liters to make one US gallon.
  • The metric system for drivers:
    25 km=15 mi | 40 km=25 mi
    50 km=30 mi | 60 km=37 mi
    80 km=50 mi | 100 km=60 mi
  • If you're flying your own aircraft into Canada, you might want to call the Canada Map Office at 1-800-465-6277 to get the latest info on airports and Canada Customs services, plus updates on important information for pilots.
  • Most of our clients enter Canada via a commercial airline flight. Regardless of how you get there, there are certain requirements that must be met before they will allow you to pass through the Customs and Immigration area once you land in Canada. The procedure is usually very simple and takes only a short time.
  • You will need a Passport

U.S. Embassy

The address and phone number for the U.S. Embassy is:

100 Wellington Street
Ottawa, ON KIP 5TI Canada
Phone: (613) 238-5335